UGC NET – University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test 2019
University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) is conducted in order to select candidates for only Assistant Professor or both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor in Indian universities and colleges. Till now, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducted NET on behalf of UGC.
Exam Pattern for UGC NET Dec. 2019
1) UGC NET will comprise only two papers- Paper 1 and Paper 2. Earlier, the exam included three papers.
2) Total Number of Questions- 150 (Paper 1- 50, Paper 2- 100)
3) It is mandatory to attempt all the questions from both the papers.
4) Paper 2 will cover syllabi of both Paper 2 and Paper 3 as per the previous pattern of UGC NET.
Eligibility Criteria for JRF Aspirants
1) The upper age for the Junior Research Fellowship was 28 years earlier.
2) However, it has been increased by two years for the candidates who belong to the General Category.
3) The present upper age limit is 30 years for the candidates of General Category.
4) For reserved category, it is set at 35 years.
UGC NET Eligibility
In order to apply for UGC NET 2019, candidates will have to fulfill certain eligibility conditions. The eligibility is based on the academic qualification and age limit.
Candidates should have a minimum of 55% in their PG or an equivalent from any recognised university.
UGC NET offers an exemption to candidates from the Other Backward Classes (OBC)/ ST/SC categories for up to 50%
NTA permits students in the final year of the course to apply for the exam. However, candidates will be disqualified if they fail to secure the marks as indicated by the Board.
The board offers an additional 5 % relaxation to candidates who have completed their Doctorate degree before September 19, 1991.
Candidates are recommended to select courses of their specialty.
Candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship should not be more than 30 years as on January 1, 2019.
There is no upper age limit for candidates for Assistant Professor’s post.
NTA provides relaxations to candidates belonging to reserved categories.
1) OBC-NCL/ SC/ ST/ PWD/Transgenders/ Women applicants – 5 years relaxation
2) Candidates with research experience in the selected field from a recognised university – 5 years
3) Candidates with LLM Degree – 3 years
Candidates with the below qualification/ degree shall be exempted from attending NET and can directly apply to any college
1) Candidates who have passed in UGC / CSIR JRF before 1989
2) Candidates who have passed States Eligibility Test(SET) before June 1, 2002